Hd space getting full very fast?

Discussion in 'General' started by ikrudolf, Oct 10, 2009.

1. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

My hd space is getting very full very fast. Today at least 20gb is filled up. How can I check where this space is going?

I only can see this:
    Rudolf.

2. mzerbe

mzerbe New Member

Logon as root and type

Code:
    $ man du 
    Read the man page and afterwards you can start analyzing, there are plenty of options that might be useful to you.

3. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

I did
    on the /

and got this:
    (the /mnt is a external drive)

Still I don't know why my system eat about 200gb in a few days and only got 3% left and still eating.

Please somebody some more ideas? What is eating my diskspace?

4. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Strange things happened.
    Yesterday the server had 0% space left. Sites were down because no space left on the hd's.
    I restarted the server, it took a long time, and the hd space has returned to 5% used.

What could be the problem?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe you have a problem with temporary files. You shoudl run the du command once a day and check were the usage grows and then go into this subdirectory to check which files grow or get added there.

6. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

But strange thing is that when I runned the
    it didn't show me where the 300gb went. The biggest folder was the /var folder with 18gb. And after the restart the 300gb was back.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The biggest folder is /mnt with > 500GB. Maybe you run a backup job and the backup device is not mounted correctly, so that you do the backup to the main harddisk instead.

8. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Your're right, but this mounted network drive still has 500gb free space.
    What could be is that device was not mounted correctly and that the backups are stored on the main hd. However my backupscript when it performs a Full Backup (on Monday at 2.02am) it consumes around 20gb and not 300gb.

And yesterday at 18.00 when the hd was full (0% left) it normally doesn't have a backupjob running.