Headless ISPConfig3 Server - What can be safely removed?

Discussion in 'General' started by BorderAmigos, Feb 26, 2010.

1. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

My latest project is a rack mount server running Debian and ISPConfig 3 (from the Perfect Server Lenny How To). It's now up and running pretty well. I updated the kernel to 2.6.33 which was released yesterday.

Being a pure server I installed 'standard' system with no desktop (no X, no Gnome, etc). I'm wondering what can be safely removed to free up resources. For disks I'm running a software RAID 1 and then a separate ext3 drive. I think I could remove NFS and Samba without issue. What else do you all suggest? Thanks.

2. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

I would've installed it using debian and no packages selected.

It's kind of hard to know what differenting packages are between an ispconfig system installed according to the guide on a minimal install vs a standard system.

If someone could give you a installed packages diff maybe you could see some packages you can remove.

3. damir

damir New Member

If you have installed Debian base system and nothing else, than you have a minimal set of services and software installed. There is not much to remove that has impact on resources.

What i usually do is to install rcconf and remove unwanted services like exim, portmap, nfs etc... Same goes for that software if you are not using it.

I would remove wget and all other tools that can retrive information to your server.

Rest is hardening the server, because Perfect Server Install is pretty OK install but it is not hardened and that is the job of sysadmin and not ISPconfig or the tutorial. ISPConfig script is pretty safe, it has been so far :)