Headless Lenny refused to boot

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bidevi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. bidevi

bidevi New Member

I've installed Lenny + ISPConfig3 according to the Perfect Server pages. I am no professional and chose to include the desktop environment.

I have done this before using Etch. No problem when I disconnect the monitor: I use VNC.

But Lenny doesn't boot without monitor. It says:

Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?

How can I make Lenny behave like Etch and boot all the way without monitor so I may use VNC?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't know why this happens, but is it possible to connect through SSH?

3. bidevi

bidevi New Member

I've googled around and I see that more people have the problem of the complaining X Server when there's no head. Ubuntu users mention the same thing.

I've decided to do another perfect install, this time without desktop, and see what I can do through ssh, ftp and so forth.

What I like about having a graphical environment is the ability to drag files around in my web files without having to use ftp. Is there a way to make the approach to my debian server more graphical from my main computer (Mac OS X, by the way?) than just hss in terminal?

To answer your question, Falco: yes, ssh works. And, of course, thanx for your reply.