Healthy upgrade path from 8.04 to 10.04, ISPConfig 2.2.25

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by razorbuzz, May 5, 2010.

1. razorbuzz

razorbuzz New Member

I've searched quite a bit and see people with issues 9.10 to 10.04. Scares me a little bit to upgrade my system.

My server is still at 8.04LTS, Hardy Heron with ISPConfig 2.2.35. My goal is to remain on the LTS, and even though security updates are supposed to maintain for 5 years, staying current LTS would be preferred.

Has anybody tried the Hardy -> Lucid upgrade path yet with ISPConfig? What headaches/snags did you encounter? Did you find any problems that are still not resolved?

My laptop is Lucid, upgraded from Karmic and went fine, but no ISPConfig to contend with and only a few months of changes instead of almost 2 years worth.

Hopefully someone has some insight in LTS upgrades in mind.

Thanks,
    RB

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I haven't tried this, but if you want to go sure, make an image of your current installation (e.g. with CloneZilla, Ghost4Linux, or SystemImager) and then try the upgrade. If it goes wrong, you can return to your previous installation.

3. razorbuzz

razorbuzz New Member

Falko;
    Thank you. It may be a bit before I get around to it, since it may not be a smooth process, but I'll post the results in a month or so when I have the free time to be able to handle fixing it.

It's running smooth right now, I don't want to mess with that! I love ISPConfig. Much better than ClarkConnect that I used to use.

-RB

4. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi razorbuzz

can you post your experiences with upgrade please? In a near future I'll have to upgrade three servers with ISPConfig 2.2.37 from ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 version and one server from 9.10 to 10.04. I appreciated any information about possibly upgrade issues.

SupuS

5. razorbuzz

razorbuzz New Member

SupuS;
    Nothing successful. I still have boxes to do it to, but it's not worth the headache right now. I was unable to find any successful upgrade path. Thankfully I had backups of the sites, but I ended up having to do a clean install of ISPConfig, resetting up users, etc. I do *NOT* recommend trying it unless someone can find a smooth process for it.

-RB

6. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

Has anyone done this - upgrading safely from 8.04 to 10.04?