Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by abrichr, Aug 14, 2012.

1. abrichr

abrichr New Member

Hello,

This is my first time attempting to configure a mail server. For the purposes of this thread, let my domain name be abc.com.

I followed the instructions at http://www.exratione.com/2012/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1204-postfix-dovecot-mysql/.

Outgoing mail seems to be working; the problem is with incoming mail. The message on the server says:

postfix/smtpd[2642]: NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from abc: 504 5.5.2 <phil>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=SMTP helo=<phil>

In this case, abc.com is an existing domain name that does not currently point to this server. I wish to configure this server fully before changing the DNS so as to minimize downtime.

Furthermore, "phil" is the name of the local computer I am using to connect to the mail server. It seems unreasonable to me for the server to expect that every client machine has a fully qualified domain name. Therefore, I suspect that something is wrong with the configuration settings specified in the tutorial I followed.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Version information:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you have a fully-qualified hostname in /etc/hostname, or is it just phil?

3. abrichr

abrichr New Member