Help - can't login to Postfix/Courier server (Ubuntu)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by squirrel, Mar 31, 2007.

1. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Hello - I have set up a mail server on my Ubuntu machine using the tutorial here on howtoforge. I have spent several long nights troubleshooting a problem and am wits end. Description:

I have a MySQL database that stores the username, password (encrypted) and a couple other attributes. DB is named 'mail'. Courier is set to authenticate against this database in it's "authdaemonrc" file and the details in "authmysqlrc" are accurate.

POP3 is responding properly when i do this:
    Code:
    telnet localhost pop3
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK Hello there.
    quit
    +OK Better luck next time.
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    The mail server appears to listening properly and the right ports are open (for both SSL and non-SSL). This has been confirmed by running the mail server check at dnsreports.com.

Using Thunderbird on my laptop - if I create a POP3 account and try to connect to the mail server I get a password error both using SSL or not. Thunderbird error is:
    Code:
    Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server ******** responded: Temporary problem, please try again later.
    Thunderbird is connecting and downloading the certificate and trying to login, but is failing there.

There is obviously a problem somewhere as I can't even get the IMAP server to respond. I've restarted all the applicable applications and the machine itself and checked and re-checked the config files multiple times.

I'm not a total noob to linux but am new to mail servers in general and these apps in specific.

Anyone have ideas where I should start digging to isolate the problem - I'm at a bit of a loss.

thanks,
    squirrel

EDIT: Ok some log digging seems to indicate that Courier can't login to MySQL so obviously can't process the email account logins. It's got the correct user and password for the Database - any thoughts on where I should look for a cause?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer