HELP: Enabled SSL on Site, Broke site

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by astewart, Apr 1, 2009.

1. astewart

astewart ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Using ISPCONFIG 3.0.1.1

I went a head and enabled SSL on one specific site, I ended up getting 500 Internal Errors so i decided to revert back and disable SSL.

I'm still getting the Internal 500 Errors though!
    I removed all Certs. in the ssl directory for that site but still not working.
    I removed the Cert. via ISPCONFIG in the options for the specific site but no luck.
    What am I missing here??

I verified the *.vhost for the specific site and nothing appears to have changed here.

Here is the Error I'm getting the in the error.log:

What else do I have to do to get my site backup??
    :confused::confused:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. astewart

So I fixed the Internal 500 Errors but now sh404SEF (Joomla Component) no longer works.

The .htaccess file has not been modified so I can't figure out why sh404SEF no longer works.

Question: When enabling SSL for a site in ISPCONFIG 3, does it modify any Apache2 files?

I tried a number of different ways but I can't get it to work.

Has anyone else experienced issues with sh404SEF when SSL is enabled for a site?

3. astewart

Alright, Issue is solved.
    I edited the *.vhost for the specific site and commented out line for both directory paths:

#AllowOverride Indexes AuthConfig Limit

After that the .htaccess now works again.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do not edit .vhost files manually, ISPConfig will remove all your changes. If you want to set different AllowOverride Options, you can do that in the apache directives field of the website.

Also what you did above is a big security problem if your server is used as hosting server for more then one customer. Commenting out the line means that your customers can now work around every limit you have set them by uploading an .htaccess file.

5. astewart

Thanks Till,
    Your right, I took a look at the specific *.vhost file and the two lines I commented out are un-commented again.

And the site no longer works, 500 Errors again.

So in the ISPCONFIG control panel, under the 'Apache directives' for the specific site, would I simply add:

Then save the changes?

I tried adding the above it didn't work.
    I then tried adding:
    But this didnt work either.

I tried:
    This didnt work either.
    What am I suppse to add to get this working?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No.

Post the error message that you get in the error log of the website as you have to address this specific problem of apache.

7. astewart

It is the same error as I was getting from my original post:
    I was able to resolve this yesturday by commenting out the following line in the specific *.vhost file for the site. But like you mentioned, ISPCONFIG did restore the default settings and now I'm back to the Internal 500 Errors.

This is what I commented out in the vhost file:
    eg.

8. astewart

So are there any other ways to allow .htaccess within the web directories without having to Comment-out:
    Is there something I can add in the Apache directives in ISPCONFIG to correct this?

Is there anyone else experiencing this issue?