Help for a totally noob on ISPconfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dodimar, Jun 19, 2009.

1. dodimar

dodimar New Member

Hi, sorry if this post is inappropriate.

I was trying to read the documentation but I am boggled.

I was able to setup ISPconfig 2 on a server with a single IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on domain.co.cc (I used co.cc domain)

now, the big question I have is, what will be my next step. The guide on howtoforge's "ISPConfig 2.x - First Steps (Creating Web Sites, Email Addresses, Etc.)" is a bit unclear for me.

I was able to set up a client but when I logged in as a client, there were no options to add a website...

Also, if may domain is domain.co.cc, can I just set ns1.domain.co.cc, etc.. for name server?

thanks very much..

Just want to emphasize that this is my first attempt on having full control of a VPS.. i've been a webclient before but only as a customer (CPanel). Please help..

Edit:

By the way, this is on a production server, not on a local network.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Client logins are for managing existing websites. To create a website you use the admin or a reseller login.

Yes and no. You can use ns1.domain.co.cc as hostaname of the dns server of the domain domain.co.cc but you will have to make sure that ns1.domain.co.cc exists as a dns A-Record pointing to the IP of the server and you will have to ask your provider to create a glue record for it as ns1.domain.co.cc is a subdomain of domain.co.cc

3. dodimar

dodimar New Member

Ah, so website will be created under reseller then... thanks for that..

Now as for the name server part.. how do I do that..

I have domain.co.cc, it is pointing to the IP of my server.... could I use this method: point domain.co.cc to afraid.org's name servers; then under afraid.org, point domain.co.cc to my server IP and create subdomains (ns1, ns2, etc) pointing to my server IP?

Thanks..

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Here is a tutorial if you really want to run your own dns servers:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy

I d not recomend to run your own dns if you have no deeper knowledge about dns. BBetter you leave it as it is and use the dns of your provider as you are doing it already.

5. dodimar

dodimar New Member

will read that.. but might take your suggestion not to run my own dns..

but need more info on that..

when you refer to "provider", is it the domain provider..?

my VPS provider didn't gave me any name servers...

name servers had been a big question mark to me since I went to web publishing...

Thanks for your patience...

6. dodimar

dodimar New Member

I am still at lost at this.

Sorry if I sound impatient.

What name server should I use for the domains that will be hosted on my server.

Also, I will be providing only the webhosting (since this is free), I won't have control of them. So I need to provide them a name server to point their domains.

Thanks..

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

8. dodimar

dodimar New Member

Thanks, i'll look into those...