HELP-- I need to setup a office network wtih dumb terminals

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by grandpagenocide, Aug 6, 2009.

1. grandpagenocide

grandpagenocide New Member

Hey guys, im looking for a tutorial for setting up an office network, 1 server 10 dumb terminals, and 10 dumb employees is there a tutorial around to get me started ???

I been away for a while, got a real job, but im back and will be playing with ISPConfig again soon :-D

2. giganet

giganet New Member

Hey GrandpaGenocide...

Tell me a little bit about the server and the 10 connected terminals.

Do you want this server to be connected to the outside world?
    Email service for your employees?
    Host a web-site?

Have a great day

Best Regards
    GigaNet

3. id10t

id10t Member

Assume you have a router or something already giving out dhcp addresses and providing a connection to the world. You'll need a second box set up as a NFS server and a TFTP server. In your TFPT configuration, you can specify a profile that will tell it to serve up a certain kernel image and a certain root file system. Then plug in a dumb terminal that can do PXE booting and test. Once it works, plug in the other 9 terminals.

4. av1611

av1611 New Member

Get the latest LTSP live-cd and install it.

Then go into YUM repos and add the standard repos that the Fedora build it's based on uses (last time I did it, it was F10)

Once you do that you can play with your firewall rules, and you're done.

I know it works because I did it already.

LTSP is pretty easy to set up because they did most of the work for you.

5. matey

matey New Member

I need more info on those 10 dumb employees please!
    LOL just kidding.. :D
    you're comment was funny but be nice to ppl lol ;)

Anyway is the server like a mainframe or something?
    As id1 said you need to give them (same class of) IP addresses and if the server is hitting the Internet then you have to configure the IP on your 10 machines/terminals (i.e config the gateway,DNS etc, so they can also hit the I'net).
    If you are using a DHCP for your TCP then less config. required.

There are windows interfaces out there but been so long I forgot the name..win??something? (wintegrate?) not sure!

If the server is Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat etc) or Unix (Sun/Solaris etc.) and your workstations use MS Windowz then you can use the PuTTY, it's free to download/use.

In any case more info is needed.
    Regards;
    PS Congrats for the new job!