help me bash scripts

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by hudipirlo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. hudipirlo

hudipirlo New Member

dear all master

i am newbie in linux scripting

I want to make a script

example:

#!/bin/bash
    # scripts for log import

ls -al /home2/import/`date +%Y%m%d`/* > /home/tplinux/in/`date +%Y%m%d`.txt
    sleep 2
    temp=$(cat /home/tplinux/in/`date +%Y%m%d`.txt | wc -l /home/tplinux/in/`date +%Y%m%d`.txt )
    echo $temp

#function to send mail with subject "FAIL"
    func_mail_fail () {
    echo $temp | mail -s "'WARNING'report import server `hostname`-HERO SPM GATOT `date +%d-%m-%Y`" mailto:[email protected]
    }

#function to send mail with subject "Good"
    func_mail_good () {
    echo $temp | mail -s "report import server `hostname`-HERO SPM GATOT `date +%d-%m-%Y`" mailto:[email protected]
    }

#testing the send log from Server
    ((temp>20)) && func_mail_fail || func_mail_good

with the logic of each number of lines that are less than 20 will send a warning email

note: the above scripts still fail

please tell the solution to my email [email protected]

thanks for your help

bahudin

2. vernond

vernond New Member

Try executing the commands one by one from the command line so that you can see exactly where and why the script is failing.

If the commands don't work manually then they're not going to work in a script.

Copy the error messages and allow google to help you find solutions. It's a lot of fun learning this way, because there are normally many different solutions and you will learn PLENTY about shell scripting and your OS.

3. tebokkel

tebokkel New Member

The way you test 'temp' is wrong. It's not a test (you should use [] for that, see 'man test'), and it's not a variable.

[ $temp -gt 20 ] && fail || good

Tip: execute your script with "bash -x scriptname" and you'll see every command executed (or change the first line to include -x).

Paul