Help Network settings new house, new broadband supplier, new router

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by White, Dec 30, 2021.

1. White

White Member

Hi guys well I've not been running a server for 10 years and I've forgotten most of what I used to know. I have an old server running Debian Lenny. We moved house and I've tried to resurrect it as a bit of a hobby as i have the time.
    Could someone tell me what the settings should be for me to get an outside line through my router to update. i have been trying for 3 days now, its probably fair to say I've mucked up the network settings and short of firing up my back up server and reinstalling Debian on that to get the settings for our new router and broadband supplier then copy the files, I need some help please

I'm hoping its as easy as a command line "reset network --flush" :)

PS I have all the ip addresses I just cant get it to work properly

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

If it's a hobby server, is there anything on it you even need? It would be much easier and faster to reinstall with a current debian version that to fix your networking and update 6 releases (lenny -> squeeze -> wheezy -> jessie -> stretch -> buster -> bullseye). I don't know offhand if the package sources still exist to do so (they might), but you'll be many, many hours in release notes and upgrades to do that.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Port forwarding is the key. Just forward relevant ports from your router to your pc server and you should be good to go.

4. White

White Member

Happy 2022 guys thanks for replying, yeah i have a couple of old websites on there that i want to try and ressurect. Looks like im going to fire up my old back up server with a small drive in it and try to get the files that way

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    till likes this.