Help please (FC5 How To)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by rabrol, Sep 14, 2006.

1. rabrol

rabrol New Member

Hello all.

I was running through the FC5 perfect setup, and seem to have encountered a MAJOR problem. The machine was already in use as a Samba server, and now it is not booting correctly.

I followed the instructions up to the end of page 4 (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_5_p4), but I did this from home last night via SSH (which I had already installed).

I encountered a couple of issues with Quoata, and had to enter the /sbin before entering the commands. Then, after a reboot today (was moving some cables) I received an error about not being able to read from the disk - unknown type. Knoppix said the same thing :-(

I modified the /etc/fstab line and removed the usergrp stuff I had put in with the quota (on page 4) and was able to reboot - but now I cannot get into the graphical environment. X starts but then the screen goes black with a mouse arrow and the rotating disc. No login screen appears or anything like that.

Any ideas on how I can get back in to the system? What would cause the freeze before the login screen appears? How can I find that out? I can log in via ssh or Ctrl F2 login.

Urgent help much appreciated - I'm going to have to do a backup / reinstall before everyone comes in tomorrow!

Thanks in advance,
    Robin

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Login with SSH and check your logfiles. Laso check with the commad "df -h" if you have enough space on your harddisk.