Help! Postfix receives mail, delays retrieval?

Discussion in 'General' started by rollo_t, Feb 6, 2008.

1. rollo_t

rollo_t New Member

A user called in this morning and said that there is ~ 1.5hr delay from when they send mail to their account (from outside) to when it's delivered to their client using send/receive.

Upon checking, indeed I see received messages sitting in the mail queue and I also see the user's mail client logging in/out and sending messages. No messages have been delivered to the user in the past 65 minutes.

So perhaps this has nothing to do with Postfix & it's a courier issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

**EDIT**: It appears it was a quota issue. User's web space was set to 0 MB, presumably someone thought this would give them unlimited space. Mail's flowing normally now. The only question I have is this: Why was mail delivered at all if there was no space? Why a delay? I would think mail would just sit and queue until space was available. Anyone?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe it is caused be the quota soft and hard limit difference, so that postfix is able to deliver a mail, then waits until the client fetches it with pop3 and then deliver the next mail from queue and so on. You can try to set a user to 0 MB quota and then run "repquota -avug" to see the current quota settings for this user.