help posting logs to forum and saslauth problem

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by almeister9, Sep 18, 2008.

1. almeister9

almeister9 Member

[RESOLVED] help posting logs to forum and saslauth problem

Hi to all.
    I am quite experienced in windows and averagely experienced in mac but this is my first foray into linux of any flavour.
    I have just completed the howto "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS)".
    As I said I am an absolute begginer so I had to learn from scratch (had to google how to use vi and how to shutdown). I have built a mail server from a fresh install as described in the above howto, on a brand new box (amd64) by plugging it in to a KVM switch. My other computers on my small network are windows, including the machine I am writing this post on.

I have hit a problem with sasl. I have been reading as many posts on this forum as I can and have worked out how to see logs by tail -f
    I believe that I am going to need to post the results of these logs if anyone can help me.

I am looking for a kind, kind, soul who could possibly describe to me in great detail, how to get the results of these logs from the ubuntu server onto my windows machine so that I could post them, or alternatively how to post them from within the ubuntu server (comand line only - no gui).

My first problem appears when I tail -f /var/log/auth.log and I noticed straight away:
    I have checked the only two configurations that I could see for sasl in the howto, and they both are exactly as in the howto
    and
    And yes as you may have already surmised, I copied all that with pen and paper then typed it all out here.
    I am prepared to do just that if that is what it takes.

If anyone in here could possibly help me with either of these problems, I would be greatly appreciative.:confused:

Thanx in advance.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. ralic

ralic New Member

I don't know about great detail, but I'll try and help because it's rather urgent that you get this capability asap.

Essentially you need to remotely connect to the server from your windows PC. This will allow you to interact as if you were sitting at the screen and keyboard.
    To do this requires two things, namely a server program called sshd which is installed on your ubuntu server and a ssh client for windows. The former is achieved by
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install openssh-server
    . Don't worry if it's already installed, trying to install it again won't break anything. The latter can be downloaded and installed from PuTTY: A Free Telnet/SSH Client.

Putty is not overly complicated. Simply create a new connection, feed it the ip address of your server and connect. If all went well with the openssh-server install, and after acknowledging the fingerprint of the server you should be presented with a window and a "login:" prompt. Enter your username and password to gain access.

When viewing something in the terminal screen, left click and drag to highlight an area that you wish to copy. Copying to the windows clipboard is done automatically as soon as you highlight something. Don't look for a 'copy' option and don't 'right-click' for a context menu (right-click is paste). Switch to the destination you want to paste to and use standard windows paste functionality. Practice pasting things into notepad until you get the hang of it.

Copying from windows and pasting into putty is done via standard windows copy function to get the data into the clipboard, then switching to putty terminal windows and pressing the right mouse button to paste.

A further word of advice.
    tail -f only shows the last few lines of a log file and allows new content that is dynamically added to be shown. Learn to use the 'less' utility like so:
    Code:
    less /path/to/file/filename
    or
    cd /path/to/file
    less filename
    Once in 'less' use 'q' to exit back to the shell prompt and 'pgup/pgdn' to scroll up and down.

Feel free to follow up here with any problems or questions about this. Once you've mastered the art of putty+log+posting you will probably want to post your saslauth problem into another thread so as not to get things too muddled in here. :)
    Good Luck!

3. almeister9

almeister9 Member

The reason I made the leap to Open Source

Thank you so much ralic.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. The reason I made the leap into Open Source is because of its reputation for the generosity of its community. It really does fit well with my phillosophy of what computing should be. I tend to do alot of IT work for people with dinner as payment, or a six-pack of beer. I am on my way to becoming an accomplished database developer using MS Access and spend alot of time in forums, answering questions where I think I can help.

Once again, thank you for your time and help. I will take your advice and start a new thread with my problem.

Cheers.
    :D

4. almeister9

almeister9 Member