Help Question before I reconfigure my Server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jka/v, Oct 31, 2006.

1. jka/v

jka/v New Member

Ok, My goals are to do the following:

1. Setup a server to run my business. I'll test it in a .org setting, and then figure out how to control my other domains (same names, just .com and .net).

2. Setup a mailserver for all of my domains (1 server for all of them), and set all of the aliases for the users

3. Setup a firewall to control my local lan, and pass ip's (via routing I would presume) to my webserver, alternate info server and so forth)

My question is, will the Perfect Ubuntu 6.10 Server setup be too much, or will it fit the bill?

I had the Perfect Ubuntu 6.06LTS Server setup, but I had issues getting the mail to work, and using ISPConfig. It looks like a great program, but I'm not sure if I'm just asking for more hassle using it than I need?

Anyone have any feedback on the above? Should I go ahead and reload with 6.10 Server, and the Perfect Setup? Or is there a better suggestion?

Thanks ahead of time, greatly appreciate the advice!!

Jason

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The perfect setup is a good solution for what you are asking for together with ISPConfig.

3. jka/v

jka/v New Member

Great :)

I anticipated your response, so yesterday set up the Ubuntu Perfect 6.10 Setup, and scarily enough. Got it working! And, I got my .org email working.

Now I have some questions if you don't mind on how best to setup the rest of the ISPConfig.

I have multiple domains currently, though only 1 is actively being used. It's hosted on one of my servers here, on another IP. I'd like to put that behind the Ubuntu box, and enable the firewall on it, as I've been running with no real firewall for awhile... What is the best way to set the firewall up, and NAT/Route the IP address from external to Internal?

I would also like to use my new ISPConfig box for emails on my current domains, and setup sites and emails for all of my other domains. After playing with it yesterday, I figured out how to do the initial site, and got it up and running with emails and so forth, but I'd like to switch over my main domain (.com) to the ISPConfig box and get email through it, as our current setup is quickly failing. Can I just configure sites, and go change my zone files for the .com and .net domains of the same name, and all will be well?

I ran a dns test on my .org address, and it shows quite a few errors, so I'm not sure what I've done wrong with the settings in ISPConfig for it? If you take a look here: http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=bestdealcables.org , you can see what I mean. I don't want to repeat issues with switching over my .com and .net sites, so if you could take a look and see what you think, that would help immensely!

Thanks ahead of time for the help, I'm excited to be working with ISPConfig, and look forward to learning all of it's ins and outs!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. Create a website for every domain and add the email accounts to the website. If a domain shall point to another domain, add it as co-domain to the website where it shall pint to. Then forward the ports for SMTP, pop3, imap, http and https from your router to your server. ISPConfig has a firewall, you may enable it in the management section.

This is ok so far. The only missing thing is that you will have to create a MX record in the namesevers ns19a.nameservers.net and ns19b.nameservers.net pointing to your domain name or the hostname of your server.