Help Regarding Mounting Additional Drive (Ubuntu)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by crypter, Apr 30, 2014.

1. crypter

crypter New Member

Hi guys, for starters I am running Ubuntu Server 14.04 and I have followed the guide mentioned here successfully. So far I haven't noticed any problems.

However what I'm actually wanting to do, instead of having two different drives and two separate partitions (I may be using the wrong terminology, and I apologize if I am) I want them all under a single thing. To help better convey what I mean, this is my current 'df-h' output:

Code:
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1        19G  1.2G   17G   7% /
    none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    udev            234M  4.0K  234M   1% /dev
    tmpfs            49M  392K   49M   1% /run
    none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none            245M     0  245M   0% /run/shm
    none            100M     0  100M   0% /run/user
    /dev/sdb1        59G   52M   56G   1% /dl

If you notice, the /dev/sdb1 I have mounted at /dl is what I would like to have "combined" into my sda1. They are actually two separate drives (albeit virtual), one is a 20G and one is a 60G. So instead of having a 20G of space and 60G of space, I just want a total of 80G of space under a single thing.

Would anyone be able to give me any suggestions or point me in the way of a tutorial that might be able to help me accomplish what I'm going for? Thanks in advance!

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi

I don't think that will work. It only works when you have created LVM on a drive. Follow the process as mentioned in the URL of yours can ruin your data of "/dev/sda1" drive.

Br//
    Srijan

3. crypter

crypter New Member

LVMs is what it appears I need to research. Thanks for the pointer, buddy!