Help with The Perfect Xen 3.1.0 Setup For Debian Etch (i386)"

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by egeex, Aug 16, 2008.

1. egeex

egeex New Member

Additional help with "The Perfect Xen 3.1.0 Setup For Debian Etch (i386)"

I have followed these guidelines and have successfully created a working Dom0 and several working DomU's. Thanks kindly for the info.

I have one problem, one of the DomU's I wish to install asterisk on and have been unable to due to the lack of available linux-headers for the 2.6.18-xen kernel. I am not yet savvy enough to create custom Dom0 and DomU kernels to something that I can find headers for. I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a linux-headers-2.6.18-xen with no luck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If I am in the wrong forum for this type of question I apologize, adn please direct me to the correct forum.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. egeex

egeex New Member

Sorry to waste your time...fixed this

I apologize for the waste of time.

I didn't think of it earlier but, I just went forward with the compile without having the headers and its running like a champ.

3. egeex

egeex New Member

I was mistaken

Turns out it is not running like a champ. The missing kernel headers are preventing proper zaptel install. I am going to run a strictly IP based system with no cards so the only thing I can not do at this time on the system is Meetme.

Any ideas other than compiling custom kernels?

4. thanis

thanis New Member

5. egeex

egeex New Member

thanks for the reply

unfortunately that did not work out.
    i was however able to get it up and running using this http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_from_debian_repository as a guide with some modifications and different packages. was able to compile zaptel in domu still had a few issues though but got it to work for VM and Meetme. i then went to try and take it a step further by installing an X100P card to use on domu. was able to use pciback.hide=(xx:xx.x) to hide form dom0 and used pci = [ 'xx:xx.x' ] in domu config. lspci on domu showed Wildcard X100p however address always comes up as 0000:00:0.0 zaptel would see it upon installation however could not get card to respond and never got /dev/zap device to get created. so i am still taking a break on that project for a cpl days.
    anyone with xen and asterisk on debian with completely working zap, id love a pointer or two.

regards,

matt