Host and Domain problems in ISPConfig Installation script

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by atjensen11, Jan 30, 2009.

1. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

Hello,

I am really looking forward to utilizing ISPConfig on a multi site hosting server. I have followed this How To exactly and everything goes fine until I get into the later parts of the actuall ISPConfig installation.

Towards the end of the ISPConfig installation, the installation script asks for a host (i.e. www) and domain (i.e. xyz.com). I have tried many combinations to make the installation script proceed past this point.

This machine is bare bones before starting. I tried several host/domain combinations that exist for my domain name. These host/domain combinations are hosted on another server in my network via Apache virtual hosts.

However, I am leaning towards the belief that the script fails because the How To doesn't set up a virtual host after installing Apache and/or because I have not changed any configurations regarding DNS such as forwarding addresses.

Do you thing that is the problem or should I be looking elsewhere? I don't really know what this part of the script is accomplishing. So I don't know if I should be pointing the host/domain to a site on the current machine or a site on my already existing machine.

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The hostname and domain that you enter must exist in dns and point to this new server, this means that the combination of host + domain must be reachable by ping. This has nothing to do with apache vhosts and you dont have to do eánything beside what is described in the tutorial.