host www ignored

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mgg75, Dec 24, 2008.

1. mgg75

mgg75 New Member

Hi,

I've been using ispconfig for a while and think it's brilliant.

Recently I ran into the following configuration issue which I am struggling to get to the bottom of.

Basic Config as follows:
    ISPConfig 2.2.29 running on Debian Etch (According to S.F. Perfect setup)
    3 IP Addresses each running seperate web sites with SSL enabled.

The third IP address and web site was added recently. In this site I wanted to use a wildcard for the domain. As my registrar (1and1) does not support wildcard sub domains I followed S.F guide (based on GoDaddy) to use ISPConfig as my DNS server for website3 domain. All seemed fine, any subdomain gets correctly served by ISPConfig both SSL and non SSL.

However, if I try to access www.mydomain.co.uk ISPConfig serves a page explaining that the web site needs to be accessed by name. (seems like ISPConfig is getting the request on the wrong IP address) Yet anything.mydomain.co.uk works as expected (I have added * (host) with mydomain.co.uk as a co-domain for this site and included * as a host in mydomain.co.uk DNS A record). When I ping www.mydomain.co.uk it resolves to the correct IP address. If I check the DNS server with Dig all seems well. The host name for the web site is set to www in ISPConfig.

In an attempt to simplify I got rid of the wildcards and tried to set up plain vanilla www.mydomain.co.uk . Even this does not work, yet the other two sites were fine. So now have re-implimented wildcards so I at least have a way of viewing the site. :confused:

Thanks

2. mgg75

mgg75 New Member

Hi,

I've been trying to see if there is some relevant information in the website logs. Not much joy as these only seem to be written every 24hrs...(Will not be popular if I even look at a PC tomorrow :) ) Appologies for a silly question but where do I find the "up to the minute" logs?

Thanks
    and compliments of the season to all

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in your Vhosts_ispconfig.conf, and what's the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ?

Does
    Code:
    dig www.mydomain.co.uk
    show the correct IP address?