Hosting a sub-domain, DNS, and email, main website external

Discussion in 'General' started by rbartz, Sep 2, 2016.

1. rbartz

rbartz Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a client that has his main website over on WIX. I need to set up my server to handle the dns, host a sub-domain: coffee.domain.com and serve email for domain.com. We need http://domain.com to go there for SEO reasons, not as a redirect. I still have to host the sub-domain though and their email. I haven't been able to figure out the DNS and website setup.

I apologize if this is answered somewhere else. I searched the manual as well (mine is a couple of years old). I am confused a bit about the actual steps I need to take to set this up. One forum question was answered to set the sub-domain A record to the IP of our server and then create the website as coffee.domain.com. Do you create a A record for @ and point that to the WIX ip?

Anyway, is the proper way to accomplish all this to manually create a DNS record for domain.com using "coffee.domain.com" as the Zone, then adding A records for @->wix ip, www. ->wix ip or CName to wix host), mail->server ip, smtp->server ip, pop->server ip, imap->server.ip. mx hostname domain.com / mailserver hostname mail.domain.com, +ns records and a SPF TXT record????

Thanks so much for your help,

Richard

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add domain.com in DNS; set an A record for the domain.com and www.domain.com to the wix ip address; set the MX record for domain.com to the hostname of your server; set the A record of coffee.domain.com to your server's ip address.