Hosting Multiple Mail Domains Only.

Discussion in 'General' started by Harvey Sharman, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Evening users,
    I know this may of been asked before but just want to clarify, I have a small server room in my office on super fast broadband and want to host several email accounts on several domains for all my mail customers e.g. 'Info@companysite1' ,info@companysite2 'info@companysite' and so on. I already have DNS A and MX records with my domain provider so don't need DNS installed on the ISPConfig on Linux. I have a public static IP address and a Draytek router all configured. This is going to be installed only on 1 high spec Intel server. So can this host several mail domains mailboxes for my customers on 1 IP and 1 server?? Or do I need lots of Linux servers attached for lots of different domains? I have coded Linux in the past but building up my own mail server to supply different domains for my clients is a stretch.

Thank you Harvey Sharman

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You don't say what the 'high specs' are, but a handful of domains should be absolutely no problem for even modest hardware. A truely high spec server should host thousands of email accounts (across hundreds or even thousands of domains). There are a number of things to consider (esp. memory and disk), but if you're only talking "several" domains/accounts, you probably don't need to even get in to that.

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

As Jesse said: You can host multiple mail domains on one server. That's not an issue.

Just be sure that ISPC has also configured dns for the mx domain to be the local server and then in the Mail tab just add the according domain names and then just create the mailboxes.

Personally I do like to add Horde as well because it's a nice web-based pim suite. Also it offers ActiveSync support so using Outlook 2013 (or later) it can use AS to sync contacts, todos, calendar for the user as well. With Thunderbird and Lightning that works as well and with Kontact also.

4. Thank you Jesse and sjau for responding,

I may went over bit enthusiastic on high spec as it is a a Dell system board Intel i7 16GB DDR3 and x2 500GB SSD in RAID 1 controller.

Yes, it is to host around 50 domains with around 5 to 10 mailboxes each domain on 1 Linux Centos 7 64bit server if ok?

@sjau - I was planning to install Roundcube as I understand it is more user friendly than SquirrelMail and Horde but will try an install of Horde, if not too much coding as still newish to Linux but have built up dedicated ownCloud server on Linux Centos 7.

Yes I have Barracuda mail security configured in the MX records that's routes mail to my mail server e.g. mail.mydomainsite.co.uk.

Thank you
    Harvey

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Roundcube has a nice, minimalistic gui. For just mailing its great. As said, I use Horde mainly because I can sync cotnacts, calendar, todos between my server, cell phone, notebook :)

https://www.howtoforge.com/install-horde-5-webmail-for-ispconfig-on-debian-wheezy -> I need to check if that's still ok :9

Just noticing that step 10 doesn't work on newer installs (apache 2.4 changed a few things):

If you have apache 2.4 create this file in /etc/apache2/conf-available/horde.conf
    Code:
    RewriteEngine On

Alias /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync /var/www/horde/rpc.php
    Alias /horde /var/www/horde
    Alias /autodiscover/autodiscover.xml /var/www/horde/rpc.php
    Alias /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml /var/www/horde/rpc.php
    Alias /AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml /var/www/horde/rpc.php
    RedirectPermanent /.well-known/carddav /horde/rpc/

<Directory /var/www/horde>
            Options +FollowSymLinks
            AllowOverride All
            Require all granted
            AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
            php_value include_path ".:/usr/share/php"
            php_value open_basedir "none"
            php_value upload_tmp_dir "/var/www/horde/phptmp/"
    </Directory>

and then enable it by
    Code:
    a2enconf horde

The rest should work ok on apache 2.4.

6. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Make sure you have PTR record access for your IP otherwise none of the big ISP's will receive email from you.

7. Thank you,

@webguyz when I do a PTR lookup of my static public IP address, it resolves to a hostname of my BT broadband provider hostxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.btopenworld.com. Assuming this is what you mean?

I have not got round of install it yet as just finished installing Centos 7. I had to do custom disk partitions because saw the /var and other root folders was not giving me all 500GB hard disk capacity and just showing 49GB free and need all the entire 500GB available otherwise peoples mailboxes will be full up. I am assuming correctly did the custom LVM partition.

Harvey sharman

8. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes, If your mail server host name is smtp.acme.com on ip xx.xx.xx.xx, The ptr or reverse look up of that IP has to resolve to the same name. Gmail and the other big guys will not accept email from you if the forward and reverse lookup of your IP do not match.

One way around would be to use a smarthost that will deliver email for you.

9. Oh of course I do understand what you mean. For outbound mail, I will be using my dedicated SMTP Linux server for that because I have fined tuned this on another static IP as BT changed thier PTR hostname for me so all my DNS - SPF/TXT records and SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch SMTP Valid Hostname and SMTP Banner Check all resolve correctly 100%. I use this service for other customers who are on shared mail dynamic IP so I know my SMTP server reaches to all major mail ISPs. If I were going to use outgoing SMTP on this server, would need to tell BT to change their hostname to my hostname so it will resolve properly.

Harvey

10. I now have Debian 8 64bit installed and installing ISPConfig 3 in an unattended installation (auto Installer) for easiness in root GUI login but after when it does checking 'Internet Connection' and 'Installing pre-required packages', it does nothing for an hour on 'Installing basic packages...' Does not say it has completed or done.

Is this a common problem or my system board shot as all sorts of
    problems installing Linux Centos and Ubuntu so doing it on Debian 8.
    Harvey

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Why don't you use the official installation instructions? an auto installer can work but as you can see, it will not always work. So better use the official instructions "Perfect server" guides to install the software.

http://www.ispconfig.org/documentation/