Hosting Multiple Sites on Dynamic IP

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gpoole, Jul 26, 2018.

1. gpoole

gpoole New Member

Pretty new this whole home server thing (and Linux and IP's and ports, etc.)
    I setup The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 16.04 (Nginx, MySQL, PHP, Postfix, BIND, Dovecot, Pure-FTPD and ISPConfig 3.1) on an old Proliant Server at my home, where I have a dynamic IP.
    I have two domains (ie. mysite.com and myothersite.com - one through GoDaddy and one through Register.com) forwarding to no-ip and connecting to my server.
    when I create sites in ISPConfig based on no-ip address (ie mysite.noip.com and myothersite.noip.com) and access through the internet I get to the correct sites and I am able to get Wordpress sites installed and working on both. (so ports forwarding properly and FTP access working too - haven't touched mail server yet)
    I would like to host mysite.com and myothersite.com on my server, but I don't know how to get the forwarded domains through no-ip to connect to the original domains in ISPConfig.
    I've read several threads that appear to suggest that this can be done by changing the CNAME at GoDaddy and Register.com instead of forwarding, but I can't seam to understand what to do. I get a little nervous about changing settings through their sites since I don't know the implications (less concerned about trial and error on my own hardware - that's how I learn)
    Am I on the right track? Can anyone provide some clarification on how to get this to work or point me toward some references that might help?
    Thanks

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Well, my case is almost alike. Previously I used free.afraid.org and zoneedit.com, but currently I am using cloudflare.com, to manage my dns.

So basically, I just point all my domains to cloudflare nameservers and create cname record for them to use mysite.ddns.net under noip.com and they will get back to my private ISPConfig server. If Godaddy and / or Register.com can be used to manage your dns, simply add cname record and use your mysite.noip.com to get your domain back to your server.

You need to ensure that mysite.noip.com ip address is keep updated all the time. You can also use ddclient to update your ip address at noip.com but setting on home router will be better.

3. gpoole

gpoole New Member

Thanks for your response Ahrasis.
    I tried a cname change for my domain at godaddy - so mysite.com now has a cname of mysite.noip.com for @ then waited about 15 hours to test (somewhere I read cname changes do not require time to propagate, but wanted to be sure)
    when I put mysite.com in my browser, it still forwards to mysite.noip.com and opens the mysite.noip.com site on my ispconfig server (and browser displays mysite.noip.com) and I am trying to get mysite.com in my browser to open the site mysite.com on my ispconfig server.
    So, when you say you "point all my domains to cloudflare nameservers" is that the same as when I "forward" mydomain.com to mydomain.noip.com on godaddy or do you mean for me to change the nameservers on godaddy to the nameservers at noip?

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

No, it is not the same. Forwarding your domain mysite.com to mysite.noip.com means to open the later in the browser and not your domain, therefore, it is wrong.

Your domain must be governed by a dns server, either your own or not. In other words it needs to specify nameservers (at least two) and this is why for dynamic ip server you will need an external dns server as mentioned earlier.

You set cname for mysite.com to mysite.noip.com in your selected dns server and to check whether it is working, simply run "dig mysite.com" where it should shows your server public ip after mysite.noip.com.

5. gpoole

gpoole New Member

I've switched to DYNU for my DDNS because it allows me to control my domains through them directly for free. So far everything is working perfectly.

ahrasis likes this.