Hosting multiple web servers on a home server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Desp, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Desp

Desp Member

I know this may look as an impossible mission, but I believe it's a doable task.

What I am trying to do is simply:
    1- Virtualising my home server with Vmware or Virtualbox. (Mainly Vmware since it's supported by ispconfig3 plugin).
    2- Creating 4 Linux VPS and using apache2 on each VPS on port 80

Problems:
    Since the VPS will be using bridged network with dhcp my router will only allow port forward for one internal ip on port 80. So if Server1 with ip 192.168.1.100 using this port on the router then Server2, Server3 and Server4 won't be able to use port 80 at same time and websites on Server2, Server3 etc.. won't be accessible from outside.

I know there is a work around for this problem using port wrappers or port tunneling but I don't know how to go about it. Like when someone visit website1.com:80 on Server1 then the visitor will be redirected to website1.com:9000

I have tried to open port 80 on the host machine and make it redirect the visitors to the right VPS by IP based apache virtualhosts, but that didn't work.
    Is there any ideas how to solve this issue.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can e.f direct all traffic to the first server and then use apache mod_proxy (or a nginx server as proxy) to send the traffic to the other systems.

3. Desp

Desp Member

Thank you for your response till. In this case I need to install apache2 mod_proxy on all VPS.
    I truly appreciate your time, but one question please. I was reading the ispconfig3 manual and I find it very interesting since I can use Ubuntu 14.04 and ispconfig3 with OpenVZ. Can I achive that with ispconfig when creating OpenVZ containers and installing apache on each VPS so that websites would be accessible from outside on port 80 or I have also to go same way with mod_proxy since it's a network issue.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, just on the first vps that receives the port 80 and 443 traffic from your router.

You have to use mod_proxy. Openvz just gives you multiple virtual servers, it does not proxy traffic between them.

Desp likes this.