Hosting service recipe

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by vaio1, Aug 15, 2007.

1. vaio1

vaio1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi guys,

I have already set up the dns server, but my domain is hosted into external ISP [servage.net]. I have bought a server and I would like host my domain.
    I have got a static IP.

How can I register my domain into my server and propagate the dns of my server in order to offer my services by ispconfig?

thanks

2. torusturtle

torusturtle ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You have to point the domain to your name server.
    This has to be done where you have registered the domain.

3. vaio1

I have no nameserver. How can I create one?

thanks

4. torusturtle

ISPConfig can be used as DNS server.
    Just tick DNS and DNS-MX in the basic tab of your domain.
    Or you could search for a DNS provider in your country.

5. vaio1

So I don't need two nameservers.
    I have set the DNS for my domain but is still registered on the servage.net, I have only set the dns from the servage.net to point into my server.

How my dns can propagate on the web?

thanks

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

7. vaio1

So I need an account with a provider.
    In the suggested tutorials I have to create a godaddy account or providerdomain.de account. Is it mandatory?

Have I follow this tutorial to create an account? http://www.whsupport.net/register_nameservers.php
    thanks

8. vaio1

Can I create a bulkregister account for $99 per year? Is it good choice? or you know other services more efficient?

9. torusturtle

Nettica has service for 1 domain for USD 10 / year or bulk 100 domains for USD 50 / year.
    Or you could use your server as primary and buy the secondary DNS service for USD 10 / year and would have unlimited domains.

I made good experience with them.

For some domains two nameservers are mandatory. Anyway I'd always use two for redundancy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  10. falko

These are just examples. You can use almost every other domain registrar as well, although their web interfaces will differ.

11. vaio1

Hi again,

I have choosed Bulkregister for the number of tld available. Now I have to create a Nameserver with my domain name like: dns1.mydomain.com and dns2.mydomain.com right?

And then?

thanks

12. falko

Yes. If you want to use these nameservers for hosting the zone of the same domain that the nameservers are in (mydomain.com > dns1.mydomain.com, dns2.mydomain.com), you also need a glue record: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dns#Circular_dependencies_and_glue_records

Afterwards, whenever you register a new domain, tell your registra that you want to use dns1.mydomain.com and dns2.mydomain.com as the nameservers for that domain, and create the DNS records for the domains on dns1.mydomain.com and dns2.mydomain.com.

13. vaio1

So, I have to write only my nameserver in all websites configuration in the "DNS Entry", "Options" Tab:

Nameserver 1: dns1.mydomain.com
    Nameserver 2: dns2.mydomain.com

right? if it is correct, what will happen after?

How can I create a "Glue Record" with ISPConfig?

thanks

14. falko

Right.

Afterwards, you must create the zones for your domains in ISPConfig.

You must do this at your registrar, not in ISPConfig. Please take a look (really!) at the two tutorials I posted earlier. It's all explained in there.