Hosting using DynDNS, Please help...

Discussion in 'General' started by bobsta63, Jun 22, 2006.

1. bobsta63

bobsta63 New Member

Hi all,

Have a queston, I am going to install a webserver using the HowToForge tutorial for 'Perfect Setup for OpenSuSE 10.1' and was really wondering a few things...

1. If I use DynDNS a free Dynamic DNS Service and have a domain name: openserver.ath.cx can I use this domain name on my server and does this mean replaceing 'server1.example.com' from the tutorial to say... 'www.openserver.ath.cx'?

2.I host the server from home on broadband, If I enable wildcards on my domain eg. *.openserver.ath.cx, Does this mean I can setup subdomains on the server and it will be managed by my Internal DNS Server. (BIND 9 installed with ISPConfig).

Would really appreciate any help, Thanks all,

Regards,

Bobby

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. But you shall replace server1.example.com with openserver.ath.cx

If you enable wildcards, you can setup websites with subdomains in ISPConfig. BIND on your server is not needed for this scenario, as the authoritive nameserver is ath.cx.

3. brainz

brainz Member

Actually the server1.example.com is merely the local server name that you want to setup and this is ok call it wnat you want except without a www in the from of the domain

rather then this www.openserver.ath.cx use this openserver.ath.cx...

If you are running the server from your home on broadband what is required is a static ip address and not a dynamic ip address, ispconfig does not work well with dynamic ip address....

Also once you have setup ispconfig within the admin logon you setup a client and then a web for that client and within the web setup ispconfig allows you to setup as many subdomains as you want.....

regards
    brainz ;):cool: