Hostname/domain in initial installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Commdude, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Commdude

Commdude New Member

In a recent post I read that, during installation, the hostname/domain for ISPConfig should be different than an intended virtual host. I did not see that in either the FC4 Perfect setup nor the ISPConfig manual. What problems will this cause, and can I change that in Server Settings in the management menu, or do I have to do a reinstall?

2. Cirox

Cirox New Member

Hi,

just use a technical domain for your ispconfig box. That means you just use the technical domain for /etc/hostname /hostname and postfix ;-) in $mydomain and you should not add a web with this domain.

you can change this, you dont need to reinstall all ....

greetings cirox

3. Commdude

Commdude New Member

I think I understand what you're saying. I do have another IP with a .net domain. I think I changed that in the ISPConfig server settings. I'll have to see if I can find those other files and check what's in there. In that case, the tech domain will be the actual mailserver for all domains?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The mailserver for a domain is what is specified in that domain's MX record. If the MX record points to your server, then your server is the mailserver for the domain.

5. Commdude

Commdude New Member

Understood. So I assume that the hostname/domain as initially configured during the FC4 install would be that server.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thtas correct. If you want to chnage this, you will have to modify /etc/hostname too:

echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
    /bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname

where server1.example.com is your technical domain.