Hostname Multiple Nodes ?

Discussion in 'General' started by senormedia, Jun 23, 2022.

1. senormedia

senormedia Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have 3 servers currently connected to my panel, im going to add to add 2 more and was wondering do i need to add the hostname of all the servers to hostname of each server if those new servers only need communicate with panel dashboard

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    # This line should be changed on every node to the correct servername:
    127.0.1.1 web01.example.com web01
    # These lines are the same on every node:
    10.0.64.12 panel.example.com panel
    10.0.64.13 web01.example.com web01
    10.0.64.14 mx1.example.com mx1
    10.0.64.15 mx2.example.com mx2
    10.0.64.16 ns1.example.com ns1
    10.0.64.17 ns2.example.com ns2
    10.0.64.18 webmail.example.com webmail

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It depends a bit on what the nodes are used for. E.g. when nodes shall communicate with each other e.g. when a web server node connects to a database node, both need to know their hostnames. So you have to add the hostname at least on the master, but it does not hurt adding them to all nodes.

3. senormedia

senormedia Member HowtoForge Supporter

so i have 2 servers, one for dashboard and one for email,
    going to add 3 more for different clients - so 3 extra servers

so what i meant in a more defined sense would be
    client 1 for example have to have client 2 server ip on the host since its only needs dashboard and email accounts

so client 1 never talks client 2 or client 3 only dsahsboard and email (to create the emails - does it even need to connect to email server)

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Why not add all hosts in cluster to all /etc/hosts files? I do not see the point in figuring out if host X does not need to have host Y in its /etc/hosts -file.

Jesse Norell likes this.
  5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As as alluded to, there is no security provided between hosts by leaving a name out of the hosts file, it would be simplest to just add them all and have a consistent file for all.

A client server might connect to your mail server to send mail or to operate a webmail, but not for ispconfig to function.