"Hot-swap" IP and hostname of ISPConfig-server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by julez, Sep 19, 2006.

1. julez

julez New Member

Hi developers, hi forum,

we need to "hot-swap" a server after syncing all userdata from the old one. after that, we want to "switch" servers.

Settings:

- old server has IP x.x.x.61 and hostname mr1.xxxx.xxx
    - new ISPConfig-server has IP x.x.x.62 and hostname mr2.xxxx.xxx

How we want to do it [short version]:

- Set up all domains and user-accounts according to the old server. [That one is already scripted and working]
    - Set shadow hashes from old server for all users. [already scripted and working]
    - Shutdown sendmail on old server [backup-mx will catch eMails meanwhile]
    - rsync mailboxes from old server to new ISPConfig-server. chown owners and permissions of synced mailboxes on new ISPConfig-server according to ISPConfig user-ids and groups.[already scripted, too]

As final steps we need to shutdown the old server and change the IP of the new ISPConfig-server to x.x.x.61 and its hostname to mr1.xxxxx.xxx.

Now ISPConfig-settings need to be "hacked" to write new settings to keep on working itself and change all zonefiles and vhosts... what else?!?

Is this possible?

What else do we need to do by hand?

What did i forget?

Thx in advance for every useful hint...

jz

2. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Actually I'm not sure which options has to be set to regenerate the configfiles...

but I thinkg you forgot DNS's TTL??? Or do you have the ability to NAT / forward the traffic from .61 to .62?
    I mean you can lower the TTL, but misconfigured Caches won't care about that...

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig can write or update the settings for you.

Some of the database tables have a field status, especially interesting for you are the tables isp_isp_web and dns_isp_dns. The status field may have 3 values:

n = create a new item
    u = update a item
    d = delete a item

After you set the status value in the databse, execute the following command on the shell:

touch /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/.run

4. julez

julez New Member

Hi till,

so there is no reason to worry about changing the hostname and ip-address of the server?

I'd pefer _not_ to do all the work twice for about 750 domains.

I think, everyone here can understand that. [grins]

jz

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer