How Can I migrate my current ISPCONFIG3 to Another Server?

Discussion in 'General' started by filipealvarez, Jun 3, 2009.

1. filipealvarez

filipealvarez Member

Just Copy dbispconfig, /var/vmail; /var/www and the passwd/group files to other server?
    Thanks in Advance!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, this should work. But you should not copy the complete group files, just copy the users and groups that were created by ispconfig from the files /etc/group, /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd from the old to the new server. Make sure that you copy the /var/vmail and /var/www files with preserved permissions. e.g with "tar pcfz ....".

3. filipealvarez

filipealvarez Member

Hi Till, thanks for you reply.
    I will try it and post the result here for future research's...

4. filipealvarez

filipealvarez Member

I tried to use 'tar pcf' but that doesn't work, the permission of all folder is changed to root user.

Any help?

Rsync?

Thanks!

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Try
    tar -pczf

6. filipealvarez

filipealvarez Member

Hi Till and Falko, I used rsync for copy /var/vmail & /var/www and that solves my problem, the folders/files mantains the right permission.

ISPCOnfig3 server now has been migrated!

Thanks !!!

7. hexfusion

hexfusion New Member

I am doing a migration and it certainly isn't as simple as moving /var/vmail & /var/www. By doing only that you don't move any mysql db's located at /var/lib/mysql. I have also migrated sites-enabled and sites-available located /etc/httpd/conf/ this shows another problem with log files so I migrated /var/log/ispconfig/ everything works fine but when I try to make changes or add sites the changes are not taking place on my server only in mysql. Any ideas?

8. hexfusion

hexfusion New Member

there are certain configuration such as ispconfig password for mysql that are located tin /usr/local/ispconfig would it also make sence to migrate this folder? I am assuming there are somethings you would not want to move anyone with a better understanding of v.3 know?

9. till

Dont move these folders as they contain passwords specific to the local installation. If you would move them, you will break the setup.

10. till

Take a look ath the syslog and the queue in the monitor.

11. hexfusion

hexfusion New Member

Got it fixed if you bring over the entire mysql folder you will also bring over the old password for ispconfig user in mysql. This is referenced twice in the /usr/local/ispconfig folder:

/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php

/usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php

if you copy these 2 files as well you will be ok.

######CAUTION######
    only do this if you are migrating the entire mysql folder otherwise unnecessary.

Thanks

12. till

Thats not all. The mysql password for the ispconfig user is in a lot of other config files too e.g. in the files in /etc/postfix, the mydns config file and and the pureftpd config file.