how can i move mailboxes from the ispconfig master server to a slave server?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rein van 't Veer, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Hey all,
    I've been using the ispconfig main server for several clients in the beginning, though only for mailbox storage. Web and the other services are hosted elsewhere.
    I recently started to get more customers, and created an new slave server just for mailbox storage and configured the master server to have a proxy in front. That way customers always only use my defined mail domain for all mailboxes. the proxy than forwards the authentication + mailbox request to the correct backend.

With this I would like to move my old mailboxes (and users) to the newer mailbox server, and downgrade my main server to cut in the costs.

Is there an easy way to do this?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

To my knowledge ISPConfig has no functionality to move mailboxes from server to server.
    I know of no better way to do what you want than to create new users on that other mail server, and copy the contents of mailboxes there.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no such function yet, what you can do is:

1) Edit the server_id of the records in the mail_* and spamfilter_* tables that you want to move to the new server and set them to the server_id of the new server.
    2) Run Tools > resync to get the mailboxes created.
    3) Copy over the /var/vmail/domain.tld folder(s) of the domains that you want to move to the new system.

Trix and Rein van 't Veer like this.
  4. the resync option was one i completely overlooked, thanks for that pointer! changing the server id's is way easier than moving mysql data across manually ;-)

5. Chris_UK

Chris_UK Active Member HowtoForge Supporter