How can I use CloudFlare as DNS for multiple sites?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by jessquin, Feb 3, 2024.

Tags:
  1. jessquin

jessquin New Member

I don't want to use ISPConfig as dns server,
    How can I use CloudFlare as DNS for multiple sites?
    What DNS should I put in cloudflare?

Suppose I have 3 sites in ISP
    Site 1, in CF, A ip: server ip
    Site 2, in CF, A ip: server ip, but it will step on the previous one, no?

I do not know how to point web3 and successive sites to CloudFlare, is it possible?

Thank you very much

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

CF DNS server is per user account basis (i.e. one email one user) and the free one is limited to certain numbers of entry, so one may want to create and use a separate email for each domain.

It does not matter to point numerous domains / subdomains to a server IP so long you have created a site for each in there, as it should work just fine.

3. jessquin

jessquin New Member

and the way used by ex. cloudron?
    Then, what’s the best solution to use external dns (and free)?

than u very much

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It does not matter where you run your DNS records for an ISPConfig system in any way. You use the server IP for all sites in DNS.

No, that's not the case in ISPConfig if you configured it correctly. The web server (Apache or Nginx) know which domain you try to reach, that's called SNI. See read before posting in case you see content of a wrong site, it explains why such a thing can happen when you choose wrong settings: https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/please-read-before-posting.58408/

And you can not use Let's encrypt SSL on your server for websites when using CloudFlare proxy as CloudFlare proxy will unlock Let's Encrypt authentication. So take care to not turn on proxy in CloudFlare DNS when you want to use a free Let's Encrypt certificate for your website. Alternatively, you can use SSL in Cloudflare proxy and use a self-signed SSL cert in your website in ISPConfig instead.