How do I change the IP address, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by greenpete, Jun 25, 2008.

1. greenpete

greenpete New Member

I have successfully installed 'The perfect setup, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS with ISPconfig on a second box, (I have been running the same setup on an old box for some time) but I set it up with the wrong I.P. by mistake! So I need to change it.
    I have changed the I.P. in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts but I can't ssh in or login to ISPconfig then, even though I have rebooted the system.

My only option without help is to completely re-install, please help!
    Thank you in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. greenpete

greenpete New Member

Thank you I have looked through that thread and come up with nothing :(
    I can't find any reference as to the OS etc that it refers too either.

I also tried looking through all the dir's that I could think of but to no avail.

I am now re-installing :(

Thank you for you help.

4. c4rdinal

c4rdinal New Member

did you manage to establish any connection from you network, i.e. gateway? How's your cable and connection?

ifconfig
    ping gatewayaddress

5. greenpete

greenpete New Member

Sorry I don't understand what you're getting at.
    Connection isn't a problem as such, it's only a problem when I try to change the IP.
    If I revert to the old settings all's well again.
    But as I said I had to re-install from scratch as time didn't allow for experimentation, though I would like to know how to change the IP successfully anyway!

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

7. greenpete

greenpete New Member

Thank you, but you have already pointed me to that thread/post and I have had no problem editing /etc/network/interfaces (or /etc/hosts) prior to reading it anyway.
    I had guessed that there was another file to edit somewhere specifically for SSH and maybe ISPconfig?
    I have search through my system and found nothing, maybe I'm missing something somewhere.
    Either way, I have, as I said, taken the route of re-installing from scratch with the correct I.P. and things are working out.

Thanks, Peter