How do I check Letsencrypt will update?

Discussion in 'General' started by dfumagalli, Nov 6, 2016.

1. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Hello,

I have a number of properly functioning Letsencrypt SSL websites.
    However I don't know what will happen when the SSL certificates will need to be renewed. Will everything go smooth or will I get mass angered customers yelling at me because their SSL website has disappeared, because something failed?

I have tried using the Letsencrypt command line commands with --dry-run but I get errors or ASCII forms to fill in with all sorts of domains that then give error.

Considering Letsencrypt is quite new and ISPConfig support for it is even newer, I am really concerned about if renewals will work OK.
    Is there some way to "dry run" or at least see if all the ISPConfig scripts related to Letsencrypt work ahead of time?

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

it will autorenew them. And if 10 days before expiration the cert was not renewed, LE does send an email to the supplied email address.

dfumagalli likes this.
  3. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Hello,
    I did not supply any email address. How do I know which one would it be? I hope it's not my customers' ISPConfig email addresses, because they have no idea about technology.

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

No idea how ISPC 3.1 handles this. If you run certbot from the cli you can supply an email for the account.

5. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Hello,
    as I said in the first post, running certbot from command line works for me only on servers where ISPConfig is not installed.
    When it's installed, ISPConfig letsencrypt certs work, but if I try use the CLI I get lots of errors, forms to fill in and so on.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

They've worked fine here for a few months (first test domain is now on the 4th iteration of certificate files).

It will be postmaster@$domain - so wherever that goes (could be customer, could be you).

7. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Thanks, postmaster will do, I set them to me because my customers would not know what to do with that anyway.