How do i tell horde to import mboxfiles that are on the server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by janvl, Sep 25, 2022.

1. janvl

janvl Member

Hi,
    i am trying to get a load of emails from a provider to my server with dovecot and postfix where Horde is installed.
    Horde can import mbox-files but the files i have are too lare to import through the upload-function that horde uses.
    So i want to upload to the server with FTP and then tell Horde to imprt these files.

Does anyone have an idea how i can get Horde to accept files that are alrady on the server?
    Or is there an script that can be used with cli to import these mboxfiles?

Regards,
    Jan

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. janvl

janvl Member

Hi Th0m,
    i have read about imapsync, have the links to download it.

The problem ist the extreme amount of emails, it is 8,5 Gb (after the user "cleaned up") in 7 email-accounts.
    What i do not really understand is how i transfer e-mails with the exact same email-address from one server to another,
    with imapsync. The original e-mails are on a "Webpack" (Hosteurope) where i do not have access to Linux.

Regards,
    Jan

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It just takes a long time and you can not use the online imapsync service (it has 3GB max).
    The e-mail address does not matter. The email boxes are on two separate e-mail servers which have different hostnames.
    The author of imapsync offers extensive documentation, you should read it. https://imapsync.lamiral.info/doc/TUTORIAL_Unix.html

5. Th0m

You can run imapsync from any host, it logs in to IMAP server 1 and copies the emails to IMAP server 2.

It is also possible for imapsync to go through a .csv with your login names and passwords and migrate all accounts by running just one script.

6. janvl

janvl Member

Thanks Taleman and Th0m,

I will go through the tutorial first - and do some tests before the "bulk" is transferred.
    I must have overseen the tutorial.

One question remains, my desktop is a linuxdesktop, do i run this from my desktopsystem or from the destinationserver which is linux too?

BTW it took 3 years to convice the user that his email must be brought to the server with his Website, the email grew from about 3 to over 10 Gb in that time.The website, that needs an update too, still runs on PHP 5.6.

Regards,
    Jan

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  7. Th0m

You can run it from any system, it even supports Windows and macOS as well.

Why would the email have to be on the same server as the website though? :)

8. janvl

janvl Member

Because i want to get rid of this "Webpack" and have all items for one customer under his own account on a vserver (vps).
    I know it does not need to be, but I do not want to pay double because of 1 customer where i charge as little as i do.

All new projects are put on an rserver with ISPConfig this VPS is a Plesksystem.
    Regards,
    Jan

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Even that question is answered in imapsync tutorials.