How do the different versions relate?

Discussion in 'General' started by Justin Albstmeijer, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how the different versions of ISPconfig relate to each other.

- 2.2.18 (latest stable)
    - 2.3.3 (latest development)
    - 3.0.0.3-alpha (?)

To give an example.. I'm interested in cyrus-imapd support..
    I found in the 2.3.x change log the addition of this cyrus-imapd support.
    So I also expected this support in 3.0.0.3-alpha, but no it's not included there..

So is anyone able to help me out here to understand the different versions?
    What is the roadmap?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3.x is a completely different software then ISPConfig 2.x. ISPConfig 3 has been rewritten from scratch to support multiple servers and to introduce virtual mail users. You will find more information about ISPConfig 3 in the development forum.

3. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

ISPConfig version 2.2.x versions are stable versions, recomended for productions servers.
    ISPConfig version 2.3.x versions are a little more experimental versions with the latest features included (developement versions)

Note: you should never update from a 2.2.x version to a 2.3.x version or visa versa!

ISPConfig version 3.x.x.x is the new and upcoming version of ISPConfig.
    One of the big differences between ISPCOnfig version 2 and 3 is that ISPConfig will use virtual users, not system users and it will support multiple servers.
    However, ISPConfig 3 is still under heavy developement and you should not use it within a production environment yet.

4. When is cyrus-imapd support expected in the 2.2.x versions?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is currently nobody working on the cyrus support as the original developer lost interest in this function and none of the other developers is using cyrus imap. So it is unlikely that cyrus support will be implemented in the stable versions in near future.

ISPConfig supports many nice other imap servers like dovecot and courier.

6. Sure dovecot and courier are nice..

I will test the status if cyrus-imapd support in 2.3.3..
    Hopefully a developer will help me solve issues if I provide detailed error reports and test the proposed fixes...