How do you set up client for SSL?

Discussion in 'General' started by heftigrat, Jan 12, 2006.

1. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Using Mozilla Thunderbird I've tried all combinations of checking and un-checking "use secure connection (SSL)" and "use secure authentication", but nothing works. This should all be set up, correct? Is there a special port # I should be using? I can use "mail.clientdom.dom", I don't have to use "ispchost.ispcserver.dom", correct? Thanks!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, you don't have to use a special port. Are POP3s and IMAPs running? What does
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    show? Which distribution do you use?

3. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Code:
    root# netstat -tap
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:32769 *:*                     LISTEN     6675/hpiod
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:32770 *:*                     LISTEN     6688/python
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:mysql *:*                     LISTEN     6896/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:81                    *:*                     LISTEN     14108/ispconfig_htt
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN     15688/proftpd: (acc
    tcp        0      0 10.57.3.33:domain       *:*                     LISTEN     14278/named
    tcp        0      0 localhost.locald:domain *:*                     LISTEN     14278/named
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdoma:ipp *:*                     LISTEN     10899/cupsd
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     25737/master
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdoma:953 *:*                     LISTEN     14278/named
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:50506 localhost.localdo:32769 ESTABLISHED6688/python
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:32769 localhost.localdo:50506 ESTABLISHED6675/hpiod
    tcp6       0      0 *:imaps                 *:*                     LISTEN     6776/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3s                 *:*                     LISTEN     6817/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3                  *:*                     LISTEN     6794/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:imap2                 *:*                     LISTEN     6753/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN     16391/apache2
    tcp6       0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     7157/sshd
    tcp6       0      0 ip6-localhost:953       *:*                     LISTEN     14278/named
    tcp6       0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN     16391/apache2
    Ubuntu 5.10 - Breezy

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This looks fine so far.

Did you have problems with sending mail over an encrypted channel or receiving mail?

5. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Well, I haven't even tested sending yet, just tryin to get POP3 working. I am feeling so down about this. :( :confused: :mad:

Thanks for your help though, any more ideas? :eek:

btw, you sure I don't have to use a special port? wasn't there a port in the 900's for SSL?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  6. till

For receiving you need a special port, thats why i ask :)

pop3s port: 995
    imaps port: 993

7. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Yup, Thunderbird defaults to 995 for SSL. I still get a "connection timed out to <server>" error though.

8. till

If you enabled the ISPConfig firewall, you might have to open the ports first.

9. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Actually, I figured out the problem. I noticed under the "Client" for a site, SSL is not checked. I attempted to check it and got the following error message:
    Code:
    An SSL certificate does already exist for this IP.
    How do I fix this?

10. till

You can only have one SSL certificate for each IP address. This is an apache limit, not ISPConfig limit.

Remove the SSL option from the other site with the same IP where you enabled SSL and you can enable it for this site.

11. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Um, this implies that I can only have one site on my server that uses SSL. How can I have other clients that use SSL? I'm sure ppl will want this service. From experience I also know that Apache looks for the IP of the machine, so if I enter a public IP it won't work. Also, I only have one public IP assigned to me by my ISP. How can I fix this? Thanks.

12. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

OK, so I tried SSL port 995 for POP3 on the domain that has the certificate and no dice. Am I destined to always have my pw's be clear text?

13. falko

Buy more IP addresses for your machine.
    Or buy a wildcard certificate for yourssldomain.com, but then your customers can only have subdomains of yourssldomain.com.

14. falko

Does "normal" POP3 (port 110) work?

15. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Yes. Um, yes it does. Had to enter 10 characters to post, so yeah, I'm typing garbage.

But yes.

16. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

You're kidding. So if I have 254 or so customers who want SSL I have to lease an entire Class C range? That's nuts.

Can't you do something like:
    Code:
    <VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName www.blahblah.com:443
    And just keep doing seperate "ServerName" entries for your diff domains? Or is that method cracked?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  17. falko

It's exactly like that! :(

18. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Hmmmm, ok. Yeah, I just verified it with our resident Linux guru and he concurred. Not to undermine you or anything, I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks for your guidance.

Any ideas yet on my pop3s issue? Thanks!

19. till

Have you checked your firewall? The pop3s and imaps ports where closed by default in the ISPConfig firewall.

20. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

The fw is turned off for the entire server (management > services), and in the event that it was turned on, this is what's set in the fw rules:
    Code:
     Firewall Rule 
      Name  	  Port  	  Type  	  Active 
      FTP  	  21  	  tcp  	  yes 
      SSH  	  22  	  tcp  	  yes 
      SMTP  	  25  	  tcp  	  yes 
      DNS  	  53  	  tcp  	  yes 
      DNS  	  53  	  udp  	  yes 
      WWW  	  80  	  tcp  	  yes 
      ISPConfig  	  81  	  tcp  	  yes 
      POP3  	  110  	  tcp  	  yes 
      SSL (www)  	  443  	  tcp  	  yes 
      Webmin  	  10000  	  tcp  	  yes 
    So I would need to add port 995 if I turned it on....but like I said, it's OFF for the whole server, so that should be fine, right? Thanks.

EDIT:
    Also, when in /var/log, I run this command w/no results:
    Code:
    :/var/log# grep -R pop3s ./*
    I get tons of results when I do...
    Code:
    :/var/log# grep -R pop3 ./*
    So I'm assuming the connection isn't even getting to the server, but I know I have the port open on my router and the ISPC fw is not turned on. Argh!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006