how good is HHVM? and should I implement it?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Apr 3, 2024.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I was recently convinced by no less than Till himself to ditch centos for debian 12 (that was a BIG concession been running Redhat since 2.0).
    I notice in perusing the manual that HHVM is supported in debian and ispconfig - and wondering if there are any drawbacks in using it with apache? and how beneficial is it anyway?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

HHVM is not used anymore today. Always use PHP mode php-fpm.

Th0m likes this.
  3. craig baker

got it. yet another seemingly nice idea shot to hell!
    you might want to update ispconfig3 manual to remove hhvm install then :)

ispconfig3 going to do mailman3 you think? and did the auto-debian install install munin or such for server monitoring?
    thanks till. still getting used to debian, but alas with the latest wrinkle neither rocky nor alma can keep full compatibility with centos.
    php-fpm vs fastcgi?

4. till

Maybe. Its a full re-implementation, so its a lot of work and money that has to go into such a feature and there does not seem much interest in that.

If you have chosen to install it, its a command-line option of the installer.

Always php-fpm.

5. craig baker

any issues converting to php-fpm? or just pull the drop down? anything to check for make sure its working properly??

6. till

Just select php-fpm, then the desired PHP version and press save. Then wait until changes have been applied and then test if your site still works.