How ISPconfig handles reverse DNS?

Discussion in 'General' started by oriongr, May 20, 2008.

1. oriongr

oriongr Member

Hi,
    I have a rather small problem. The reverse DNS file of bind contains a wrong domain name (used for installing ISPconfig).
    Now I want it to show the correct domain name. Where I can change that?
    if I delete pri.xxx.xxx.xx.in-addr.arpa and pri.xxx.xxx.xx.in-addr.arpa~ files If I do a restart of ISPconfig they reapear with the wrong domain.

Any help?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Delete the wrong a-redord or soa record in the ispconfig dns manager instead. the ptr files are created automatically based on the soa and A-Records.

3. oriongr

oriongr Member

Nope..
    If I delete the "wrong" domain then it will go to the next one...alphabeticaly
    Interesting..but confusing..
    So if I have in DNS manager 3 domains
    a.com
    b.com
    c.com

In the arpa record it will use the a.com even if a is not the "main" domain of the machine.
    The issue is minor if the responsible server for reverse dns is another one ie your ISP but if your server is the authoritative for the IP this maybe a problem...

An other ideas?

4. oriongr

oriongr Member

the /etc/hosts
    and /etc/hostname points to the correct domain..

5. oriongr

oriongr Member

I figured it out somehow...
    It follows the named.conf file.
    It uses the first domain in named.conf

Is thery any way to alter this file?

I tried to change it and delete the backup one but it keeps the old one..

6. oriongr

oriongr Member

No ideas?
    Anything?

7. daveb

daveb Member

If you need to make changes to your named.conf you could make the changes to the master template that creates named.conf.
    copy template to customized_templates so at next update your changes are kept.
    Code:
    cp /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/named.conf.master /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/customized_templates/named.conf.master
    edit to suit needs
    Code:
    vi /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/customized_templates/named.conf.master
    You will have to make a dns change in ispconfig to rewrite and update named.conf