how many web sites will ISPConfig run?

Discussion in 'General' started by adeptt, May 14, 2007.

1. adeptt

adeptt New Member

I have a dell 2.8 ghz with 1 gig ram 1 u server.

How many sites do you think ispconfig can handle on such a system

Lets assume medium size sites.

and... does anyone have an example number of how many sites they are running on one server? 50? 100? If you could include your ruff server specs as well that would be great.

Cheers

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It really depends on the load of the sites, if they are static or PHP based, which CMS is used and how many mails they receive.

PHP base sites maybe 150 - 250. If the sites use static pages most likely several hundred sites. If you use heavy weight CMS systems like Typo3, maybe just 80 - 100 sites.

Generally this is not a question of ISPConfig, as ISPConfig writes just the configuration files and does not run the sites. So the number of sites will be comparable with any ISP controlpanel or hand made configuration.

3. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

"Medium sized sites" is not very specific. Static or dynamic sites? What technology is used (Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, ..)? How much is the database involved? How many mails have to be handled? How about virus und spam checking? Do you use ModSecurity and with what and how many rules?

The answer is: it depends

The only thing you can do is get one site after another up and running and watch what happens. All it takes to take your server down is one slashdotted website...

4. adeptt

adeptt New Member

Thanks for the info... basically i have 50 php sites.. some use a databases but mostly they are simple static sites. I run about 100 gigs a month. Only about 10 email accounts per site. Sounds like i should be fine. As mentioned if anyone has some server stats of their own about how many sites they have on one server. And the specs of the server that would give me and anyone else a better idea what servers can handle.

T