How rndc is configured to use it in ISPconfig?

Discussion in 'General' started by tom, Nov 27, 2006.

1. tom

tom Member

If I try to use rndc to tell bind something I get this:

Maybe rndc is configured specialy for ISPconfig?

A secound thing I'm woudering about is that always two bind proceses are running. I don't understand why. Is that maybe even an typical ISPconfig setting?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) ISPConfig does not configure RNDC at all. ISPConfig writes only the named.conf and the pri.... files for the domains.

2) There is no special setting for ISPConfig. When you stop bind with the script in /etc/init.d, is there still a named process left?

3. tom

tom Member

It's not possible to stop bind9 with the init script. I did the following and you see what the anwser was. I don't understand why I cant use rndc. I've configured rndc now but now and even before I can't use rndc.
    Why?

The init script starts only one bind proces but after reboot there are two.

after reboot:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please check the named startup symlinks in /etc/rc3.d, /etc/rc5.d, etc. Maybe you have more than one startup symlink?

5. tom

tom Member

Do I need to have this startup symlinks?
    Could the reason of the impossibility of the usage of rndc be that bind is running chrooted? And if yes what should I do to to get the usage of rndc?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  6. falko

Yes.

It could also be a permissions problem, as described in the comments on http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_bind_chroot_debian

7. tom

tom Member

I've renewed bind according to the bind chroot howto but still I've two bind proceses after reboot and I'm not able to use rndc.

8. tom

tom Member

No ideas?
    :)

9. falko

No ideas from my side.

10. tom

tom Member

I've just tried to start and restart bind9 with
    /etc/init.d/bind9 start|restart but during that a new process of bind is created an no old one are killed. Is'nt it strage?