how secure is ISPConfig on a public IP address?

Discussion in 'General' started by friday, Jan 31, 2007.

1. friday

friday Member

We will probably be moving our email server from an internal IP to an external/public IP today due to a change in our ISP. Instead of the headaches of trying to configure a one-to-one NAT on our Sonic wall with the Enhanced OS, I figure it would just be easier to put the email server outside the firewall and give this a seperate IP address. NetSol handles our DNS, so I'll make the appropriate changes to our A records.

My question is, is there any security concerns going from an internal to a public IP address. What does the firewall function of ISPConfig filter out?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is build to be run on external IP addresses as it is a hosting control panel and there are currently no known security issues.

The firewall does not filter content, it opens and closes ports for services.

3. friday

friday Member

Thanks for replying, Till. Your services to our community are greatly appreciated

I was actually looking for the specific port numbers. But, I think most of what needs to be open is open, and those ports that are closed off have been firewalled from the public

Our server has been live on the public side all night now, and things are working superb. The school that this server provides email for couldn't be any happier. Thanks to those who made this fine product.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The firewalls ettings are under management > server > services on the firewall tab.