how to change default vhost

Discussion in 'General' started by Ovidiu, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I am trying to isntall a feature on one of my sites, that requires this specific vhost to be the default vhost.
    how would I make one out of a dozen vhosts the default one?

2. lano

lano Member

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe you can set specific vhosts parameters in apache directives in control panel.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no such thing as a default vhost in ISPConfig. All vhosts are equal and name based.

4. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

well, here is the link to the plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/installation/

and the exact text:
    I guess what they mean by default vhost, is the vhost that gets called if none other fits!? does that make more sense?
    I.e. a domain points to this server and then you delete it from the server but the DNS still points here, so where do you land when accessing this domain?

5. till

Do you want to redirect subdomains of a domain or different domains to your wordpress installation?

6. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I am playing with wpmu, thats what wordpress.com is using. with this plugin, people can sign up for i.e till.mydomain.com and redirect their own domains i.e. till.de to till.mydomain.com and my wpmu isntallation will catch this so you use your own domain i.e. till.de but use my services at till.mydomain.com.

does that make sense to you? I tried the long explanation, but your one sentence
    could also be simply answered with YES :)

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That's the "Shared-IP" vhost - it's the first one on Vhosts_ispconfig.conf.

8. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

yes I understand, but how do I make another vhost the "default" one?

9. till

You can not make another vhost the default one without changing the ispconfig source code.

10. falko

You could place that vhost manually in your main Apache configuration, right before the file Vhosts_ispconfig.conf is included.

11. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thus completely taking it out of ispcfgs care, right?

12. falko

Yes, that's right.

13. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

sorry to bump this old thread of mine but I still haven't found a viable solution.

can someone explain what I need the Shared-IP vhost for?
    I was thinking along the lines, that maybe I could somehow replace it or redirect it to the one I want to have as "default" or "first" vhost.

14. till

The shared IP vhost is needed in case that there is a misconfiguration of a vhost in your system. You can add other pages in the document root of this vhots if you dont like the default page.

15. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok, I think I understand now.
    can you advise how I would dealre another vhost the default instead of the shared IP vhost?

Basicallz I want a certain vhost to be the "default" one - is there no other method than falkos advise?