How to configure Outlook or Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Profesor Proton, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Profesor Proton

Profesor Proton New Member

Hi,
    I have followed configuration tutorial for Ubuntu: howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-ubuntu-18.04-with-apache-php-myqsl-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig

I don't know how to configure Outlook or other email client for IMAP.
    1. Where should I look for ports numbers?
    2. Should SSL/TTL authentication be checked for incoming and outgoing messages?
    3. Should secure authentication be checked for both incoming and outgoing messages?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All port numbers are the standard ones, so no need to look them up. Just don't change the ones that the email program suggests.

That's basically the same question. Yes, you should use TLS today for incoming and outgoing connections.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Probably you mean "encryption," not "authentication." Yes to both (you should use authentication over an encrypted connection).

4. Profesor Proton

Profesor Proton New Member

Hi,
    I cannot set it up :(

Now I'm trying to configure WP Mail SMTP plugin for Wordpress. Using options:
    Encryption: SSL
    SMTP Port: 465
    Auto TLS: Off
    Authentication: on

Provided proper username and pass but it doesn't send a test email.

upload_2020-7-9_21-25-31.png

Do I need to set something over ISPConfig?

5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

turn auto-TLS on. try encryption: tryTLS or STARTTLS if available, also try port 587.

and just to be sure, i know it'd be a silly mistake to make, but i've seen it done plenty of times... :(. the username and password you're giving to the plugin IS for the mailbox account not for wordpress? and the mailbox does already exist?

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check master.cf that you have submission and smtps enabled.