How to connect to a Linux machine using VB

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by rocket1356, Jun 22, 2007.

1. rocket1356

rocket1356 New Member

Anyone know what component or where to get a tutorial on how to connect to a LINUX machine using a VB app?

I am trying to create a WIN32 Visual Basic application that communicates to a LINUX machine. I will need to read some file info from the LINUX machine and display it in the application. If change is need I will write the change to the file.

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

How do you want to connect? FTP, SSH, rsync, ...?

3. rocket1356

rocket1356 New Member

Which ever is the easiest way. But I hope SSH is the easiest way because the LINUX box has an SSH server. I heard of a program call putty(plink a command of putty). Wonder if I can use that to open and read/write to a file or do I have to transfer the files over to the local Windows temp folder and do some I/O extraction.

4. rocket1356

rocket1356 New Member

I do not think I can install SAMBA on the LINUX box because its running on a 512mb flash card. Because of the limited space, I do not want to install any more nonessential progs. Just in curiosity, how much space would the SAMBA takes?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think the best would be to copy over the files to Windows with the scp (secure copy - copy files over SSH) command (I don't know if there's such a command line scp for Windows - maybe you can use WinSCP for it), modify the file and copy it back. But maybe rsync is even easier.