How to continuously backup customer emails?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Tekati, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Tekati

Tekati ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I am running ISPConfig3 with Postfix and Dovecot. We have approx 1000 email accounts. We host email for clients and need a good way to continually backup email.

Basically we need backup of all incoming and if possible outgoing emails. So it would be like making a copy of all email but not deleting email if it is deleted in their mailbox.

This would all need to be compressed somehow.

Our current backup solution is StorageCraft and even though I run 15 minute backups it deletes files when it needs to so unless we knew exactly when mail came in and or was deleted it makes it very difficult. Plus a lot can happen in 15 minutes. Email can come and be deleted and never make it to the backup. The other issue is StorageCraft likes to randomly crash the server. It has to do with the fact that it does a snapshot and the snapshot is not fast which causes the kernel to panic from time to time.

Anyone have a good solution for something like this?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In my opinion, mailpiler is a good way to archive emails in a corporate environment:

http://www.mailpiler.org/

But if it is suitable for your customers emails depends on which kind of service you want to offer to them. But if legally safe storage matters (as you want to prevent that emails get deleted), then mailpiler might be a good choice.

If you just want to backup mails, then any file-based backup tool like duplicity should do the job on Linux.

3. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

mailpiler is a good choice but a little bit tricky to install.
    if you don't want to archive spam-mails, put the bcc-maps into the pickup-service from postfix to have the spam-score in the header and let mailpiler do not store mails marked as spam.