How to contribute code

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by pyte, Oct 25, 2022.

1. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi!
    Can someone give me a quick rundown on how to contribute code to ISPConfig? I've added 4 API functions and want to create a merge request.

I've cloned the git repo, made the changes and committed them.
    Can someone explain to me, what the next step is?

I am new to contributing code to an open source project, so please be indulgent :)

till likes this.
  2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. pyte

I already have access there.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Then ask for merge request. Things will be discussed thereafter.

pyte likes this.
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've just upgraded your account permissions, so you are able to fork the project on our GIT system and then do merge requests against the development branch. We have to handle this process so strictly due to the vast amount of users signing up just to submit spam to the git system. So we activate this only for users like you that we know using ISPConfig e.g. from being an active member here at the ISPConfig community.

pyte likes this.
  6. pyte

I've just done it :) Hopefully i did not mess up to bad. Cheers for the help guys!

7. pyte

I've created the issue, forked the project and create a branche in my fork as described within the contributing guidelines.
    I've added, commited and pushed my changes. However i only implemented 1 of 4 new API functions i want to add, but i need some help, how do i proceed? Do i create the merge request against upstream already or how can i get help/review beforehand?

Sorry if these question sound dumb :)

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can create a merge request now if you like, we will then look at the code and we can discuss details inside the merge request and you can then add further things and refine the code if needed.

Th0m, ahrasis and pyte like this.