How to Convert email archive - Gmail mbox to Outlook pst

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by adamjedgar, Oct 31, 2019.

1. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Hi guys,
    does anyone know of an opensource (free) way of performing this conversion?

I have a client who has dumped me with a zip file of their old Gsuite gmail account and I now need to upload it to my webserver. I just supposed that using Outlook is an option?

Is there a better way? Can mbox be converted in such a way that i can upload it directly to my postfix/dovecot mail server? If so, how could i achieve this?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Have you verified the zip file you got is mbox format?
    mbox can be converted to maildir, use Internet search engines with
    Code:
    convert mbox to maildir
    I do not understand that part. Why is Outlook relevant here?

3. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

What i meant was, i assumed that there would be a built in means of converting mail formats between gmail and outlook without having to use either mail client to query the mail server directly itself.

For exmaple, the client went into their gmail, downloaded a zip file (in mbox format) of the old emails and sent that to me asking for me to restore it to their current mail server (which i now host).

So i figured there are two options...
    1. import the zip file from gmail directly into their desktop pc Microsoft Outlook app (which is what i thought they had done before i changed DNS Mx records over to my mail server). Or,
    2. import the zip file from gmail directly to my postfix/dovecot mail server

I know the zip file backup is from gmail (mbox format). I have never imported a backup file directly into a mail server before and havent a clue how its done?

4. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Convert mbox to maildir and move the maildir to your users maildir. Then change the file permission. Sounds straight forward. Tool for that is mb2md.pl
    There are tons of guides in the internet.
    If you use dovecot, look at https://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat, it is even easier, as dovecot has a tool for that: dsync -u username mirror mbox:/path/to/mboxfolder:INBOX=/var/vmail/username
    (Have not tried this, read the man page before trying!)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  5. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

brilliant, thanks for that...i will take this pathway as getting the emails directly on to the mail server will make the clients far happier than them having to stumble their way through this themselves.