How to enable a user to manage all mailboxes in a domain

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by webguyz, Jun 1, 2022.

1. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Would this be a reseller setup? Never set one up, but have a user with about 50 mailboxes and they want to maintain their own aliases, forwarders, and mailboxes.

Thanks

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Just create a client, their client login lets them manage everything.

3. webguyz

Hmm.Not sure I understand. I create a client that is used for the email domain and website. When I log in with that client, I do not see the 50 mailboxes that belong to that domain. Under mail tab I see Mailbox Quota and Mailbox traffic, but not the mailboxes I want this user to manage. Want this user to be like an domain admin.

4. webguyz

After more reading it apears I need to create my user as a reseller and then have them add domain, website , and maiboxes. Problem is I have this domain created by admin and don't see a way to transfer resources created by the admin to a new reseller.

5. Jesse Norell

You only need to create a reseller if they need to be able to create clients if their own, just managing mailboxes of a domain is a typical client task. If you created the mailboxes as admin, the client won't be able to edit them, you should create them as the client itself. If the client can't even see them, check the client limits (limit template or custom limits).

6. webguyz

Ok. That makes sense. Any thing I can switch in the ISPconfig DB to move email ownership ownership from admin to the client?
    Thanks.

7. Jesse Norell

Yes, you can update db tables directly to change that.

8. webguyz

Been looking in dbispconfig on master in mail_access, mail_domain, mail_user tables and not seeing a field that has a name like admin or the same recurring number like a 1 for all records. Anybody know which field in the mail related tables refers to who is the owner of that mailbox. Thanks!

9. Jesse Norell

Almost every table has a sys_userid and sys_groupid as field (as well as permissions for user/group) that control the ownership, the easiest way to tell what to update to is to create a new email mailbox as the client and check what values get set there, and update the other rows to match. You may want that client to own the mail_domain and other items as well.