How to export files from virtual machine to home folder?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by oliverb4ss, May 15, 2007.

1. oliverb4ss

oliverb4ss New Member

I'm running XP on Virtualbox.

I need to move some files from the .vdi image I have for the virtual machine to my home folder in Ubuntu.

How can I do this?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

In Windows Explorer, you can create a share that is accessible from your network. Put the files in that folder, and on your Ubuntu system you can go to Network Places (I think it's called like that or similar). You should find your Windows share then, and then you can copy the files to your Ubuntu system.

3. oliverb4ss

oliverb4ss New Member

Need some more help

I got the OS's to see eachother.
    I have a workgroup, I can see the XP machine, but when I click on it, a dialog box says the following:

The folder contents could not be displayed
    Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "windows network:eek:liver"

Oliver is the name of the virtual computer.

Could this be that XP is formated in NTFS, and Linux can't read/see it?

4. falko

No, because you use the smb protocol here, so Windows takes care of reading/writing from/to its own partitions, so Ubuntu doesn't have to worry about that.

You could also install WinSCP on Windows, install ssh and openssh-server on the Ubuntu system, and transfer your files from Windows to Ubuntu with WinSCP (of course, you need Ubuntu's IP address so that you can connect).

5. oliverb4ss

oliverb4ss New Member

Sorry, I'm not that computer-savvy to do all of that without possibly ruining something.

Could you be more detailed about what to do (something like step-by-step)?

Or if not, I could try it myself, no worries. But maybe that's an idea for another tutorial on your ever-so-helpful site :)

6. falko

Well, all you have to do is install WinSCP ( http://winscp.net/ ) on your XP vm.
    Then, on Ubuntu, open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ssh openssh-server
    and
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    to find out Ubuntu's IP address. That's the IP address you must use in WinSCP to cinnect to the Ubuntu system.

7. oliverb4ss

oliverb4ss New Member

Got it to work using WinSCP.

Thanks a lot! :)