How to find scam mails?

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by vagassi, Nov 27, 2009.

1. vagassi

vagassi New Member

I am receiving mails from some people saying that they see my profile and want to have a relationship. I don't know how they find my mail id and my profile. Hence please help me how to avoid these scammers?

2. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

Those are automaticaly generated e-mails. sorry to say, but they don't want an actualy relation with you ;-) You can ignore them.

How they got your email address? They get them from the net, using software called "spiders" they scan websites for email addresses and uses those addresses to send you spam.

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

what I did on my dedicated box is the following:

(1) I got my own domain name (e.g. mydomain.com)
    (2) I setup postfix
    (3) I created one email box
    (4) In Postfix you can simply add "email addresses" and direct them to an email box
    (5) So, if I have to enter my email address on any webpage e.g. www.somedomain.com then I create a new email address by adding to postfix that email going to "[email protected]" should go into the email box. (6) For all other email addresses that do not exist, postfix shall not accept them

Now when I get an incoming email I will always see where the email address "leaked" and I can easily remove that email address.

4. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

5. edge

edge Active Member Moderator